WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Incubator vs jrb mw4?

I was just wondering , for a gathered end hammock for winter use, what do you prefer, the hg incubator, or the jrb mw4? Any other suggestions? I tend to sleep cold, and am usually a side sleeper. Taking into consideration weight, ease of set up, lack of cold spots etc. not too concerned with bulk or price. Probably going to be using a 11.5 foot majestic hammock. Thx for the advice!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Stevebo - though you were asking about the UQ, when it comes to winter hanging, I'd think your tarp and/or sock (for hammock, not feet) would have a great influence.

In the winter, the limits of your UQ, and its rating, will be tested. For example, by sleeping outside at home and checking the minimum nighttime temperature, I found I need a 10° cushion between the UQ rating and the expected temperature. My 20° UQ will be easily comfortable in the low 30's but will need assistance as the temperature drops below the very high 20's. That "assistance" could be a winter sock, a tarp with doors, some ReflexIt in a DL hammock, or a combination of those helpers.

Your location is Georgia. Do they even have winter there . For example, here we are in May. The daytime temperatures in Bend this week have been in the mid 40's. We've had some snow flurries in the afternoon these last two days.

And what seems our average winter temperatures - in the low 20's - must seem like summer to a Minnesotan. Shug has a video with a thermometer showing -40°. I only experienced that cold once, during a winter in Stanley ID. So there is cold and there is COLD.

A useful tool is a min/max thermometer. There are some posts on the form about various devices. One looks like a large teardrop and records the min and max temperatures it's exposed to. It resets when you turn it off/on Reading the max temperature can be awkward because holding the device in your hand warms it up. But the main interest is in the minimum temperature.

Back to UQs ... setup is more critical. Shug has a video that shows the UQ raising the hammock about 10 inches when no one is in it. I don't know about the JRB option but HG's UQs have a differential cut. That means the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller than the top. So you can pull the UQ very snugly (Shugly?) against the bottom of the hammock without fear of compressing the down loft. You'll especially want to do that in winter.

The characteristics of shock-cord (bungee) may make it less effective in winter. So your UQ main suspension may need some help. Consider heavier bungee cord or perhaps running a line going over the hammock ridgeline and connecting to the UQ sides. There are posts in the forum about that too.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-03-2024 at 12:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Have you tried putting a sleeping pad in your hammock along with using a good underquilt? It's not as comfortable as going without a sleeping pad but it's not at all bad either. I found it makes a noticeable difference for me staying warmer when below freezing. I've been using a thermarest ridgerest along with my warmest underquilt. For the modest weight penalty of the ridgerest, it has earned a place in my winter hammock gear.

I'm not using a hammock sock, but I am using a poncho draped over top which acts like a sock and that has also helped with the micro climate and staying warmer in the winter.

I want to be warm in the winter, not chilled. Also, I suggest to test gear before heading out. I don't want anyone to be way out in the wilderness and get too cold. I tested all my gear outside outside at my home so if it got too cold, I could bail and make adjustments which I did have to do several times. Overall, I'd say these two tips have added at least 10 degrees more comfort than the rating of my synthetic winter uq/tq gear, if not 15 degrees.

I can try to answer. I have the JRB mw4 and my wife has the HG incubator. I think they are very comparable. One night, not too long after we got her the incubator, we were out and it was snowing, then during the night, rain, then freezing rain, then snow again. In the morning everything was fozen solid with a snow on top of the ice so it must have been down to between 20 and 25. We staye warm. I do put a piece of shock cord over the ridge line in the middle to prevent sagging which results in a cold spot. I also have a 3/4 length underquilt however I find that can get a gap where my legs go out that lets in a draft, so I prefer a longer underquilt for the coldest weather.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx for all the great advice!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts